Get Fit Through Community Teams and Clubs
One of the easiest ways to adhere to an exercise program is to become accountable to someone or a group of people. Additionally it’s easy to keep exercising when it’s fun. Trying to find your perfect fit for fitness can be challenging, so this spring perhaps you can challenge yourself by joining in with our fit community and trying a new form of fitness. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
1. Evolution Health and Fitness classes: Sign up the day of class for Pilates, spin class, powerfit, yoga or dance. Get a buddy to commit to going with you to keep you on track. 250-423-3344
2. Soccer: Currently there is nobody organising men’s outdoor soccer or women’s under 30 soccer. Contact Fernie Leisure Services if you want to take this on. For women’s 30+ send an email to email@example.com.
3. Tennis club: Hook up with some players who will challenge you and get you playing. Find it on Facebook under City of Fernie Tennis Club.
4. Swim club: Starts up in July when the pool re-opens. 250-423-4466
5. Running club: Meet at the gym to find out where the route of the day is. 250-423-3344
6. Fernie Mixed Slo-Pitch league: Sign your team up or join a team. Find it on Facebook under Fernie Mixed Slo-Pitch.
7. Fernie Endurance Adventure and Triathlon Club (FEAT): A new club geared for the hard core that can bike, swim and run. 250-423-2035
8. Make your own club: To rent space at the Community Centre, high school gym or one of the city park fields, call 250-423-4466 ext 228. Put up some signs around town, Facebook a few friends and see who shows up. Previously there has been drop-in volleyball, basketball and badminton.
9. Bike groups: Get a group of bikers together and meet at the Aquatic Centre at a certain time each week. You will be surprised by how quickly your group grows.
If teams and clubs don’t work for you, you can try booking a session with a Kinesiologist or other fitness professional to have a program designed to suit your individual goals and needs, which will keep you both accountable and on track.
Hope you have a safe and active spring!