Fall Outdoor Fitness List
Photo by V.Croome
With the heat of the summer behind us and those snowy adventures ahead of us, fall is a great time to push your limits in the outdoors. In case you didn’t already know, Fernie offers a number of options to stay fit this time of the year. Here are a few to squeeze in this month:
1. Go jogging, walking or heck, do the Fernie 1/2 Marathon. Be bear aware, carry a map of the Fernie area, and try to walk or jog one or all of the trails around town – you won’t be disappointed. Fernie’s 1/2 Marathon is October 2, takes you through a number of these trails and is an excellent route to get a good view of the valley.
2. Take a hike. Check out the fall colors from the top of a mountain before it is too snowy to go without skins or snowshoes. Make sure you check the forecast and pack some warm clothes just in case you need a break at the top. You can find some local trails and bear aware information at www.fernietrails.com.
3. Play in James White Park. The 18-hole Disc Golf Course located here’s number one rule is having fun, and it’s a great way to get exercise on a budget - all you need are discs (go to Giv’er Shirt Works to buy some). James White Park also has tennis courts, horseshoe pits and bocci courts all free of charge.
4. Go biking. Not having to deal with the extreme heat makes biking in October the preferred month for many. You can get a map of the local trails at any of the bike shops or online at www.ferniefix.com/fernie-mountain-bike-guide-0, Remember to be bear aware!
5. Play some golf. The Fernie Golf and Country Club is open during the first half October (weather dependent) so try to squeeze one last round in before the snow falls and enjoy spectacular scenery and fall colors.
6. Check out the dirt bike park. If you haven’t already, take your bike for a spin around the incredibly smooth jumps and burms at the bike park beside the Aquatic Centre. If you are lucky, you might even catch a glimpse of some of the ambitious toddlers cruising around on their pedal-less “run bikes” or some other local talent pulling off big air.
7. Fix your body. If you have been procrastinating exercise because of an injury you are in the wrong place for that excuse. Fernie is equipped with many health care practitioners including massage therapy, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, chiropractic, athletic therapy, acupuncture, Chinese medicine and Kinesiology. Something for every injury, so you can be assessed, treated, motivated and hopefully functioning by winter.
On those occasional (hopefully very few) bad weather days, you can always keep your fitness momentum by trying a class at the gym. Pilates, TRX, yoga, and spin are all offered during the week and there is also child minding Monday to Friday from 9am-noon.
That should pretty much leave you with lots to keep you active this month! And no matter how fit you think you are, trying to out run a bear is never a good idea!