The Remark - December
OMG –FACTS.COM Facts
- Courteney Cox was the first person to say the word “period” on American television. It was during a Tampax commercial.
- The only two days each year in which there are no pro sports (NFL,MLB,NBA,NHL) games are the day before and after the MLB All-Star Game.
- Sharks cannot swim backwards.
- The word “taxi” has the same spelling in Czech, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, and Spanish.
- Oak trees do not produce acorns until they are 40 to 50 years old.
- Kesha means ‘horny’ in Papiamento, the language of Aruba.
- Justin Bieber has a scar below his right eye from a branch hitting him while he was hiking with friends.
- Musician Eric Clapton grew up thinking his mother was his sister.
- In its 37 year history, the band AC/DC has featured over 26 members, and only two are original group members.
- There is approximately one slot machine for every 21/2 residents of Las Vegas.
- Google Maps gives directions across bodies of water.
- Many of the sweaters worn by Mr. Rogers on the popular television show, Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, were actually knitted by his real mother.
December Hot List
Face Shots, First Tracks, etc.
The As Good As Gold Gala
Chocolate in all forms
Santa hats for dogs
Le Grand Fromage
The new Giv’er T-shirt retail space
Downtown open late shopping hours
Watching new ski movies over and over
Women’s Centre cookbook
In Need Of Wine
A Classy Business Move: Did someone help you out this year with your career or business? Drop off a bottle of Ganton and Larsen Prospect Winery’s Fats Johnson Pinot Noir. Pinot Noir says sophistication and versatility with food pairings. This will reflect you and your intentions. A lovely $20 “Thank You” that will leave a lasting impression, just like its medium-body, cherries, liquorice and vanilla finish.
For The Host/Hostess: Toting a bottle of vino for the host of the holiday get-together? Remember this wine is a gift for the host and may or may not be opened that evening, so a good rule of thumb is to bring two bottles to a party, one for the night and the second as the gift.
Morambro Creek Cabernet Sauvignon 2007 Australia. Sip away on this perfectly balanced red with notes of bitter chocolate, cherry, spice and distinctive eucalyptus, perfect for the season. Chan’s favourite wine of 2010!
Christmas Dinner: Forget what you know about wine pairings. Turkey doesn’t have to pair with white wine. Try whatever you like. It’s all about experimenting and trying something new in the wine geek’s world. So if you feel like a Pinot Noir or a Riesling or a Pinot Grigio, then go for it. Traditionally, go for an oaked Chardonnay, it will really set those buttery aromas off. For a new twist break out a bottle of Syrah or Grenache, the earthiness and richness is a nice full body - full aroma combo to a juicy bird. Or for some real holiday glam at the table dazzle them with a dry Champagne pairing. Have fun and be merry!
Thought Bubble 1
Awkward: I can't hear you, so I'll just laugh and hope it wasn't a question
Thought Bubble 2
Annoying: I knew that song MONTHS ago, NOW it's popular and EVERYONE likes it.
Thought Bubble 3
Amazing: My mind was blown when I realized that the word 'bed' looks like a bed.
Tolerable Christmas Songs:
Christmas With You is the Best - The Long Winters
Mistress for Christmas – AC/DC
Happy Xmas - John Lennon
Santa Claus is Coming to Town - Bruce Springsteen
The Christmas Song - The Raveonettes
Blue Christmas – Elvis
Last Christmas - Jimmy Eat World
Christmas in Hollis - Run DMC
Baby It’s Cold Outside - Leon Redbone and Zooey Deschanel
Santa Clause Is Coming To Town - Jackson 5 and Diana Ross
Last Christmas – Glee Cast
Just Like Christmas – Low
Back Door Santa – Jet
Run Rudolph Run – Keith Richards
Father Christmas – The Kinks
You‘re A Mean One Mr. Grinch – Queens Club
Zat U Santa Clause – Neon Horse
The entire “Twisted Christmas” album by Twisted Sister
The “A Colbert Christmas” album