Fernie’s First Coworking Space
The Fernie Chamber of Commerce is establishing Fernie’s first coworking space. The goal of this project is to provide a professionally designed and managed open-design space for entrepreneurs, professionals and freelancers looking for a place to collaborate and work. Driven by membership, the space will provide a mixture of private offices, meeting rooms, common area workspaces, and a lounge space with members being able to purchase single day passes or full memberships.
A feasibility study for this project was completed in 2017 which indicated a strong local demand for such a facility. The Kootenay region already has several established coworking spaces in Cranbrook, Revelstoke, Nelson and Invermere. Initial funding for the project has been secured from the BC Rural Development Fund, with additional funding from other grants and corporate sponsorships.
We are seeking proposals from interested owners of suitably zoned commercial property in Fernie, who would be interested in leasing their space to the Fernie Chamber of Commerce for a coworking space.
The criteria for a suitable commercial space are as follows:
• Ideally a minimum of 2,500 square feet
• Ideally within walking distance of Fernie’s historic downtown on 2nd Avenue
• Suitable commercial zoning for general office use
• Ability to work with the Chamber of Commerce on leasehold improvements of the space Interested parties are requested to include in their proposal details about the space and property, including:
• Location, size, availability and zoning of property
• Features such as parking, washrooms, heating, and accessibility
• Proposed lease arrangement and terms with the Fernie Chamber of Commerce
• Willingness to assist financially with leasehold improvements to the space
Please submit written proposals by August 31, 2019 to:
Brad Parsell (Executive Director - Fernie Chamber of Commerce)
102 Commerce Road, Fernie, BC, V0B1M5