City of Fernie Moving Toward Re-Opening Indoor Facilities
At this week's City of Fernie Regular Meeting of Council, council approved measures to support the continued transitional, safe re-opening of indoor facilities. These measures include temporary additional staffing and resources to monitor and clean indoor facilities as part of the City’s Indoor Recreation Facilities Re-Opening Safety Plan.
The City would like to remind the public of the following:
1. Enhanced protocols and sufficient distancing will remain in place. Progressively loosening in phases does not mean that we will be back to the way things were prior to the COVID-19 pandemic. Preventative measures will still be in place. These measures will be posted at all sites as appropriate. The City’s reopening plans may not have historical times groups were previously used to and adjustments will be required.
2. Not every amenity and service will be available right away. We still need to be cautious. Our enhanced protocols will mean that groups will have to adjust how they use the buildings, spaces, or services until we reach a new normal phase.
3. Do your part. We cannot go backwards now; we have worked too hard. We commend everyone in the community for their hard work and sacrifices over the length of the pandemic. We ask that you please continue to follow all recommended preventative measures and adhere to any restrictions noted by the City as sites start to re-open. And please be supportive and courteous so we can continue to protect everyone in our community.
4. City staff are being deliberate in planning for use of facilities to maintain the safety of the public and City employees. Although the timelines for expanding hours and programming may seem slow, staff are executing a plan restricted by staff and facility limitations.
5. Follow Dr. Henry’s advice. Be calm, be kind, be safe.
Beginning November 3, arena hours will be extended from noon to 12am, and from November 16, arena hours will be from 6am to 12am. The gymnasiums at the Community Centre and Max Turyk are set to open their doors to user groups on November 9, and groups are reminded to submit their booking requests and all other requirements to email@example.com no later than 4pm on November 3, 2020.
For more information, please go to the City of Fernie's recreation page or call 250-423-4466.