Photo: Josh, ASA Contracting, installing an AED at Coleman Senior Centre
In a health emergency, every minute counts. Sudden cardiac arrest can cause death if not treated within minutes. Signs of cardiac arrest include not breathing or only gasping, no movement and no pulse. If someone has collapsed and is unresponsive, call 9-1-1 immediately. Perform Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) in the absence of a pulse and use an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) if one is available.
Rapid treatment with an AED can be lifesaving. For every one minute delay in defibrillation, the survival rate of a cardiac arrest victim decreases by 7 to 10%. In fact, performing CPR and using an AED before emergency medical services arrive can increase the chances of survival up to 75%.
AEDs are lightweight, battery-operated, portable devices that are easy to use and require minimal training. Each unit comes with instructions, and can automatically check the person's heart rhythm and determine whether an electric shock is needed to try to restore a normal rhythm. The device will then give the user voice prompts to let them know if and when a shock should be sent to the heart. If a shockable rhythm is not detected, no shock can be given and the user will be instructed to perform CPR until emergency medical services arrive.
At Teck, safety is a core value, and they believe strongly in safe, healthy communities. That’s why Teck has provided AED units and cabinets in public areas throughout the Elk Valley, at the locations listed below. Andy Vanderplas, owner of ASA Contracting in Hillcrest Alberta, generously donated time and materials for their installations.
Familiarizing yourself with the following AED locations could save a life.
• Elkford Community Conference Centre – 750 Fording Drive
• Elkford Recreation Centre – 816 Michel Road
• Elkford Aquatic Centre – 816 Michel Road
• Rocky Mountain Elementary School – 2500B Balmer Drive
• Elkford Secondary School – 2500 Balmer Drive
• Elkford Golf Course - Highway 43
• Elkford Wapiti Ski Hill - 1000 Natal Road
• Sparwood Leisure Centre - 367 Pine Avenue
• Frank J Mitchell Elementary School – 101 Blue Spruce Crescent
• Sparwood Secondary School – 101 Pine Spur
• Lilac Terrace - 102 2nd Avenue
• Fernie Leisure Services – 250 Pine Avenue
• Isabella Dicken Elementary School – 1302 2nd Avenue
• Fernie Secondary School – 102 Fairway Drive
• Fernie Senior Centre - 562 - 3rd Avenue
• Hosmer Hall - 7431-6th Avenue
• Crowsnest Pass Sports Complex – 8702 22 Avenue, Coleman
• City Hall – 8502 19 Avenue, Coleman
• Coleman Senior Centre - 7801 18 Avenue, Coleman
• Albert Stella Memorial Arena - 12602 17 Avenue, Blairmore
• Crowsnest Pass Community Pool – 11973 20 Avenue, Blairmore
For more information contact: