- Arts & Entertainment
- Never Have I Ever
- Day in the Life of a Lifty
- In the Tracks: A Guide to Nordic Skiing
- Women of the Mountains
- Hitting the Trails with the Fernie Trails Alliance
- Snow Shoe
- Nordic Skiing
- Trail Running
- Nature Nuggets
- EA Sports
- Cycle Works
- Onwards and Upwards
- Fernie's Sporting Heroes
- Fernie Ski Patrol
- Racers' Corner
- In the Snow
- She Was a Day Tripper
- Health & Lifestyle
- Bits & Bytes
- Events calendar
City of Fernie, BC Council Connection April 8, 2013 and 2013 Highlights
REGULAR MEETING OF APRIL 8, 2013 HIGHLIGHTS
DEVELOPMENT VARIANCE PERMITS & OTHER PERMITS
1. Development Variance Permit Application No. DVPA-324 – Collin Woehl and Christine Abela - Lot 6, Block 84, District Lot 4588, Kootenay District, Plan 734A.
Council authorized issuance of DVP- 324.
2. Development Variance Permit Application No. DVPA-326 – Heather Hockley - Lot 2, Block 38, District Lot 4588, Kootenay District, Plan 734A Except Parcel A (See 33/473 24795A).
Council authorized issuance of DVP-326
3. Outdoor Patio Permit No. OPA 002 - Licence of Occupation / Big Bang Bagels / Grass Roots Bistro
Council approved the occupation of a portion of the municipal sidewalk/road adjacent to this business as per the terms of conditions laid out in the attached license.
1. Zoning Bylaw No. 1750, Amendment Bylaw No. 142, Bylaw No. 2206, 2013 for Lots 1-9, District Lot 4138, Kootenay District, Strata Plan NES2856 was given third reading and referred to the Ministry of Transportation & Infrastructure for approval.
2. Zoning Bylaw No. 1750, Amendment Bylaw No. 145, Bylaw No. 2210, 2013 for Parcel A(see2422IA) Lot 1, Block 51, District Lot 4588, Kootenay District Plan 734A was given third reading and referred to the Ministry of Transportation & Infrastructure for approval.
3. Dog Licensing, Regulating and Impounding Bylaw No. 1995, 2005 - Council directed staff to bring forward a bylaw amendment that will remove the increased licence fee for breed specific dogs at the Committee of the Whole.
OTHER INFORMATIONAL ITEMS
1. Water Testing for Selenium - Council directed staff to begin testing for selenium and other items on a quarterly basis at the Committee of the Whole meeting.
2. Fernie Chamber of Commerce Annual General Meeting
Thursday April 25th, 2013
Lizard Creek Lodge, 5346 Highline Drive– Fernie Alpine Resort. Seating is limited so reserve your spot before April 18th by calling 250-423-6868
3. Liquor Control and Licensing Branch
Policy Directive No: 13-07 Special Occasion License policy changes & PST reimplementation.
4. Liquor Control and Licensing Branch / Operational Bulletin No: 13-04 Implementation of Special Occasion License exemption application deadlines.
5. Fernie Pets Society is launching its own Spay Neutering Incentive Program (SNiP) which will offer discounted spay/neutering for owned cats and free spay/neutering for homeless or feral cats.
6. Relay for Life
Date: Saturday, June 8th, 2013
Location: Fernie Secondary School
Time: 11:00 am – 11:00 pm
For further information email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t forget to register your Team at www.relaybc.ca
Letter from Relay for Life
Your participation makes a difference!
APRIL 2, 2013 – SPECIAL MEETING HIGHLIGHTS
1. 2013 – 2017 Corporate Strategic Plan was approved by Council. The Action Plan identifies the specific steps that will be taken to achieve the strategic objectives that are geared toward operations, procedures, and processes. They describe who does what, when it will be completed, and how the organization knows when steps are completed.
2. Carbon Offsets - Council rescinded their March 11, 2013 Motion to fulfill their obligation to being carbon neutral for 2012 through the bulk purchase of Darkwoods.
Ms. Megan Lohmann provided the attached power point presentation at the Committee of the Whole (COTW) meeting on April 8th regarding possible community options for carbon reduction.
APRIL 9, 2013 – SPECIAL MEETING HIGHLIGHTS
A copy of the agenda package is available of the City website at: https://fernie.civicweb.net/Documents/DocumentList.aspx?ID=8864
1. Columbia Basin Trust (CBT) – Community Input Meeting
Council recommends that the Regional District of East Kootenay (RDEK) endorse the Columbia Basin Trust 2012/2013 Community Initiatives and Affected Areas Program funding allocations as follows:
ORGANIZATION / PROJECT AMOUNT
Association Francophone des Rocheuses du Sud
-Fernie French Language Preschool Drop-In 1,500.00 $
Bright Beginnings Community Pre-School
- Outdoor Play Area Renovation 4,000.00 $
Canadian Avalanche Centre
- South Rockies Youth Avalanche Safety Education 1,387.50 $
Canadian Red Cross Society
- Health Equipment Loans Program Equipped for Progress (Fernie) 1,165.00 $
Columbia Basin Institute of Regional History
- A Legacy of Learning 2,000.00 $
Community Connections Society of Southeast BC
- Breastfeeding Mamas! (Sponsoring Over the Rainbow Family Services) 1,000.00 $
Cranbrook and District 4-H Council
- Livestock Presentation & Safety Equipment 500.00 $
East Kootenay Brain Injury Association
- Support, Empower, Achieve! 0.00 $
Elk Valley Critical Incident Response Team
- Elk Valley Critical Incident Response Team 2,000.00 $
Elk Valley Hospice
- Strategic Planning & Community Engagement 1,500.00 $
Elk Valley Society for Community Living
- Summer Program for Children with Special Needs 3,000.00 $
Elkford Search & Rescue
- SAREX 0.00 $
Fernie and District Arts Council
- Reel Canadian Film Festival 2,000.00 $
- The Arts Station Educational Tours Program 1,500.00 $
Fernie and District Historical Society
- Presenting History 2,000.00 $
Fernie Childcare Society
- Centre Play Area Improvement and Safety Upgrades 3,000.00 $
Fernie Heritage Cemetery Restoration Society
- Elk Valley Cemetery $ 2,000.00
Fernie Inspire the Race to Empower F.I.R.E.
- Fernie Adaptive Snow Program 3,200.00 $
Fernie Nordic Society
- Fernie Nordic Program Expansion 5,000.00 $
Fernie Pets Society
- Subsidized Spay/Neuter Program 2,044.75 $
Fernie Public Library Association
- Fernie Children’s Festival 1,500.00 $
Fernie Woman's Resource and Drop In Centre
- Little Sprouts Gardening Program 1,200.00 $
Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC
- Kootenay Trout Hatchery Educational Programs 0.00 $
Health Arts Society
- Concerts in Care 0.00 $
IDEAL - Institute for the Development of Education, Arts and Leisure) Society
- Ideal Family – Phase 2: Professional Documentary on Perinatal Education 2,000.00 $
Royal Canadian Legion Branch 36
- Legion Hall Outside Restoration 5,000.00 $
Special Olympics BC Elk Valley
- Special Olympics – Bowling, Swimming, Bocce 0.00 $
- Blue Lake Professional Interactive Dance Rehearsal Insight Field Trips 1,000.00 $
Wapiti Music Festival Society
- Music Festival 3,000.00 $
Wildsight - Elk Valley Branch
- Angel Garden (Sponsoring: Friends of the Angel Garden) 4,000.00 $
- Growing with Gardens 2,500.00 $
- Silver Springs Stewardship Solutions (Sponsoring: Elk River Alliance) 1,500.00 $
This recommendation has been forwarded to the RDEK Board for consideration.
The RDEK Board will make the final funding decision at their June 7, 2013 Meeting and applicants will be advised of approved projects on June 10 – 14, 2013.