- Arts & Entertainment
- Health & Lifestyle
- Bits & Bytes
- Events calendar
The Remark - July 2012
I always look forward to the new summer drink menu at Island Lake Lodge. Every year it’s new and fresh, and on top of trending cocktails. I managed to get a sneak peak and a taste of a new drink they’ve been working on.
1 cup sugar (can reduce to 3/4 cup)
1 cup water (for the simple syrup)
1/8 cup dried lavender blossoms
1 cup lemon juice
3 to 4 cups cold water (to dilute)
6 oz of Spirit Bear Gin
1. Make simple syrup by heating sugar and water in a small saucepan until sugar is dissolved.
2. Remove from heat and add lavender. Once cooled strain off lavender blossoms
3. Add juice and sugar water to a pitcher. Add 3 to 4 cups of cold water, to desired strength. Refrigerate 30 to 40 minutes. If the lemonade is a little sweet, add more straight lemon juice to taste.
4. Pour 1 oz of gin and lavender lemonade over ice. Garnish with fresh lemon slice and lavender blossoms.
Roller Derby is coming to town! You've no doubt heard about Fernie's local team- the Avalanche City Roller Girls, and now you can finally see the action! Scrap to the Future, the Semi Finals, is taking place Saturday August 4. This bout features all four teams in the East Kootenay Roller Derby League: Avalanche City Roller Girls (Fernie), The Killer Rollbots (Invermere), The Barvarian Barbarians (Kimberley) and The Mountain Town Maulers (Cranbrook).
Doors open 4:30pm at Fernie Memorial Arena with the Beer Garden open at 5pm and first whistle at 5:15pm. This is a Family friendly event and Fernie’s team color is red, so wear red! Tickets available for $10 online, $15 at the door. www.eastkootenayrollerderby.com
- Giving your dog a haircut
- Tuna tacos at the Yama2go truck
- Downtown Sunday social
- Sunday market in the park
- Your bike
- Shred Kelly kicking off a summer of touring at the Northern May 30
Shred Kelly took off across Canada this June on the CBC's Tracks on Tracks train, landing at Toronto's NXNW festival. This summer they debut a new album, CD release party in Fernie to come later this summer! Stay tuned for more info.
The "beer tent" has been reinvented and Wapiti is pleased to feature a variety for your musical pairing pleasure. Take in the sweet sounds of rock and roll while you bask in the sun with a crisp gewurztraminer from Creston BC's Baillie-Grohman, noting the floral, lingering on to the lychee and passion fruit. Sit back in the peach sunset under your best flannel with the 2011 Blanc De Noirs – a chilled rose with watermelon and cranberry flavour. Perhaps you will tap your foot and sip a perfect summer red wine titled "Summer Night" from Gehringer Bros. in Osooyoos BC.
Wine not your thing? Head over to the Orchard Hill Estate Cidery table for light, semi-sweet, fruity Okanagan apple cider. And if you don't want to mess with tradition. Fernie Brewing is back and ready for the festival love.
Wapiti music festival features fresh Canadian Indie music August 10-11 in Fernie's Annex Park. www.wapitimusicfestival.com